background

Monday, July 23, 2007

Finally I Got To Sew!


This weekend was a lot of fun. The neighbor's son, Zac, had a Birthday party, he turned 12. Good company and good burgers!


Sunday we went to my Cousins 3rd Birthday party at Gymboree. What a fun place. And his parents had a backyard BBQ at thier house. It was titled "Babies First BBQ". Little Julia was born 7/6/07. She is so beautiful! I think she looks like her Mom.


But the real reason for this entry is to tell you about the dress I made for little Julia. It was a Martha Pullen pattern "Gift of the Month" Fancy Swing Top and Panties


Exept I changed a few things. I put embroidery on the front 3 little bunnies from MP's Baby Layette collection. And I changed the pleat down the front to 3 pintucks so it wouldn't cover the bunnies.


There was a new technique that I tried

Cut 1 1/4" bias strips, fold in half, iron - Sew a blanket stitch with the long swing falling off the bias strip. (Don't use a teflon foot, use your regular foot) And the pull of the long swing will make a little scallop.

Really cute - the only problem I had was when I washed the dress. The fabric wanted to curl up and was a little hard to iron out. Well, anyway here is a picture. And I broke the cardinal rule of Heirloom sewing. The pink was not 100% cotton - I used a blend!