background

Friday, October 31, 2008

Forget Halloween this is WAY More Important!


I noticed this morning that my calander didn't say Halloween for October 31st it said Reformation 1517. So I www.goodsearch.com it. And here is what I found...

The Reformation began on October 31, 1517, when German monk Martin Luther nailed his 95 Thesis to the Castle Church door in Wittenberg, Germany. This was one of the greatest events of the past 1,000 years.

Martin made a translation of the Bible from Greek and Hebrew into German. Soon all the countries of Europe followed his example by translating the Scriptures into their languages. For the first time in history, the recently invented printing press made the Word of God available to all the people.

When he was commanded to appear before Emperor Charles V to answer for his writings, Saint Martin gave this fearless reply:

"I cannot submit my faith either to the Pope or to the Councils, because it is clear as day that they have frequently erred and contradicted each other. Unless therefore, I am convinced by the testimony of Scripture ... I cannot and will not retract ... Here I stand, I can do no other. So help me God, Amen."

At this time the Catholic church didn't want "ordinary people" reading the scriptures. So this was important in getting the Bible into our hands. So go read your Bible!! God's love letters to us!!

No comments: